I love fall and winter. What’s not to love? There’s Halloween(as much candy as you can eat), there’s Thanksgiving and Christmas (spending time with all your family and filling up on turkey/ham and having that extra side of stuffing and pie). All that eating does have a negative affect on your body and makes you gain weight. When I was younger, I used to think, “How do people get fat? Can’t they just stop eating completely? I could.” Now I laugh at the thought- I love good food too much to give it up. Once you’ve gained weight, losing weight is hard. Diet and exercise play an important role in losing weight. I’ve learned though, that although exercise is important, 80% of losing weight is from in the kitchen. My biggest downfall is sodas and snacks. My mom, Karen, has come up with 3 recipes to help keep some of that weight off during the holidays! It’s alright to enjoy food during the holidays just don’t drink your calories, don’t overindulge on food, and try healthier snacks!
I love water but I don’t nearly drink as much as I should. I can drink soda all day but sometimes it feels impossible to drink 1 cup, let alone 8 cups of water daily. You should drink water but another healthy drink you can benefit from is Green Tea. Proven benefits include weight loss, prevent heart disease, healthy teeth, brain enhancement, stomach health, and prevention of cancer.
Recipe #1- Karen’s Green Tea Drink
- Pour 1 whole cup of cold water
- Put one tea bag in cup and hang over side of cup- you can use your own preference of Tea bags but I like Salada Green Tea Pure Green Bags
- Sprinkle Truvia (calorie-free sweetener from the stevia leaf)- Just a small amount to help add a little sweetness to your drink
- Squeeze a slice of lemon
- Let it sit for 10 min.
- Add ice
- Drink and Enjoy!
When I’m at home, I feel the need to snack, constantly. I feel like its hard to resist my cravings and I overindulge. Curb your cravings with this Berry Smoothie, instead of heading towards unhealthy snacks.
Recipe #2- Karen and Mary’s Berry Smoothie (2 servings)
- Get your Blender out
- Add 2 cup unsweetened Almond Milk
- Add 1 cup of Ice
- Add 6 strawberries (wash and take stems off fruit)
- Add 1/2-1 cup of Blueberries
- Add 1 tablespoon of Truvia
- Add 2 teaspoons of Country Farms Farm Fresh Nutrition, Super Greens Organic Greens, Fruit & Vegetable Formula Super Food and Berry Blend (dietary supplement found in Wal-Mart in the pharmacy near the vitamins. It has 32 organic whole food extracts, mixed berries, kale, barley grass, beets, wheat grass, blue green, algae, with aloe vera & dairy free probiotics.
- Blend everything until smooth
- Drink and Enjoy!
My momma always said, “Don’t knock it, till you try it.” I have always hated eggplant, but my mom has came up with a recipe for eggplants and it is delicious! It’s also a healthy alternative to eating frozen pizza or pizza bagel bites.
Recipe #3- Karen’s Pizza Rounds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cook beef and spaghetti sauce together(amount varies)
- Grate low-fat Colby jack cheese (or mozzarella)
- Take 2 medium eggplants(how many is optional based on size of eggplant-my mom’s come fresh out her garden) wash, peel, and slice into thin round slices.
- Place on baking pan- spread out
- Brush on Olive Oil
- Cook 15 minutes
- Put spaghetti sauce and beef mix on top of eggplant slices
- Sprinkle a small amount of Italian seasoning on top
- Top with cheese
- Place back in oven to melt cheese (5 min. can vary)
- Eat and Enjoy!
Fight the urge to over-indulge in tempting sweets this time of year by choosing healthy, filling and satisfying foods. Hope you enjoy these recipes. Please let us know if you have any questions or comments!